Wednesday 9 February 2022

Dial M for Music

I am but one of the million fans that Lata didi has. I am but a minion in the journey of music that she summited. I am but a speck in the universe of which she is now a part. And yet I cannot stop my thoughts from straying around her music and her sheer talent and genius. Like a river to the ocean, I am drawn to just her music since Sunday.

As the morning started with me trying to work on finding solutions to the issues sitting in my inbox, I was unable to focus without listening to her music. Even last night sleep eluded as I tried to attempt melody after melody and then restarting with something simpler. I just could not find something I was capable of singing. A similar challenge this morning was what to hear. There is an incredible legacy that she has left behind; even if one tried one lifetime is less to do justice to her music. What a blessed life!

I finally settled to start with an SD Burman album that is greatly influenced by Hindustani Classical, and incidentally the story of the film is about the musical talent of a woman. Yes, you guessed it – “Abhiman”. As I listened to the soul soothing “Nadiya Kinare” I was reminded of a musical incident that I had totally forgotten. This was high school. I was 14 and under the tutelage of a Ghazal singer when I was asked to participate in a singing competition. The trouble was this was to be a duet and we were in an all-girls school. Women duets are rare and those that one found were beyond our capability. Finally, we chose “Loote Koi Man Ka Nagar” from Abhiman. Given that I have always been at relative ease with kharaj I sang the male part. Listening to this track today, I am glad that I did so.

As I went through the day, I received two whatsapps that made my choices easier. The first one had a fabulous selection of Lata didi's solos. It reconnected me with the equally sublime and powerful “Jago Mohan Pyare”. When we were children, mother used to sing a slightly modified sthayee of the song while doing her morning Pooja. I had for some strange reason forgotten this composition. And with all knowledge that I am not worthy, I have decided to attempt this bhajan over this weekend. How successful am I will be known only in the coming days. In the interim I am listening to “Bekas Pe Karam Kijiye”. A few years ago, while mother was visiting Nani, Papa and a dear friend of his had wanted to see the live performance of Mughle – E- Azam at the NCPA. I went along and distinctly remember that when this song was being sung, I whispered to Papa – “please let us play the original in the car on the way home”. The “pukaar” and the “dua” that Lata didi infused in the melody heightened the message being conveyed by the lyrics of Shakeel Badayuni. As I listened to this and heard her intonations and emphasis on the word “sarkaar” I remembered Guruji’s early teaching where he made me understand the importance of extending, elongating, and emoting along with the “matras” and not the “akshar”. Music is truly divine.

The second whatsapp that I received from my grandfather figure and my epitome of grace and affection was “Yeh Jeevan Hai” from “Piya Ka Ghar”! What a movie from Rajshree productions! As I was listening to this song more than anything else the lyrics hit me hard. Specifically, the following –

ये ना सोचो इसमें अपनी, हार है के जीत है

उसे अपना लो जो भी, जीवन की रीत है

As these lines played, I recollected my conversation with Guruji this morning. At the end of the Riyaz I asked him why was it that all of Lata didi’s works were suddenly being taken out of the treasure chests now. They had always existed and in the same glory. So, what makes them more special today? He simply smiled said, “Well this is what life is”. I sometimes want to ask the creator why is this so but I guess I will need to wait my turn…

Music has been my one constant in my life and I do hope that I can now be consistent in my learning. I will never even be 0.00001% of Lata didi but I hope I can be 1% of her consistency in Riyaz. As Guruji said before he ended this morning “Always remember और कुछ नहीं पर ये स्वर साथ आते भी हैं और जाते भी।

No comments: