Tuesday 5 April 2022

Blessings around

 As I returned from my holiday, waiting to start the next innings of my professional career I had three packages waiting for me. One was from family, one was a set of documents to be signed and the third one was from now an ex colleague. It was a small gesture but it said, "now whenever you pick up this flask you will remember me". His last email to me said, "you are irreplaceable". I was just humbled. 


Before this, in Delhi I had two ex-colleagues reach out to me. They wanted guidance and help in planning their career. As I spoke to them and understood their aspirations and desires, I once again saw the trust they placed in me. It reminded me of my responsibility to them and that again was quite humbling. To have built a rapport, while working remotely, where they trusted me enough; I must have done something right. 


And then came the call from someone who is a great person and as a professional I have tried to guide with all honesty. A recent realisation was that not only is he risk averse and brand concious but also not as driven as I thought he was. All of this makes him the unique person that he is - trustworthy, reliable, thorough and very respectful. A very rare individual to come across in his age group. He was calling me up to tell me how he had just been made an offer. How exciting! 


Thinking of all of the above, I drove to meet an old friend for lunch. We had planned this weeks ago. In the hot and sultry Mumbai weather we were meeting at an old colonial restaurant that both of us liked. It was a relaxed and unpretentious afternoon. More than the food it was the company I enjoyed. How far have we both come from being the teenagers in high school unsure of where our careers would go! Today, we both had a laugh on varied issues and just communicated. Who cared where one had landed professionally. The fact that we share this ease after all these years, is the biggest gift and victory! In fact we even planned a dinner the day after with another friend who is visiting from the US. 


As far as family is concerned of course I won the lottery but even as far as friends are concerned I have struck gold. I am grateful for these old and new connects that help me stick to my roots, remember my responsibilities and ensure that I always keep my heart open. I am a heart person and that has given me all these brilliant moments. Yes it has brought me hurt as well, both personally and professionally. But that will not stop me. I have picked up and moved on and I know that from now on I will be safe and strong. 


I am not sure why I am writing this, maybe it's the emotions. Maybe it's my way of etching this in my memory. Maybe it's sending a message to the universe. Whatever be the reason, the bottom line is that I am filled with gratitude and thanks. As I start a new chapter I hope and pray that Ma answers my prayers and helps me continue being the heart person she sent me as. 


So stay tuned for more to come, especially a note on Kaziranga. 

No comments: