Saturday 30 April 2022

A trip of memories - old and new

As I sat in the car, early in the morning, I was looking forward to catching some sleep on the five hour drive. But just as we started on our way I realised that the driver needed directions at least till we reached the outskirts of Mumbai. There went my plans of shut eye and while navigating I took the opportunity to observe the recently resumed early morning activity in the city. 

We passed by markets getting ready to open up to the early morning customers looking for fruits, vegetables and flowers. Took me back to the pre-Covid times when every morning I would wait for the fresh flowers to be delivered for the morning Pooja. The fragrance and blooming petals always brought a smile to the face. In the initial months of CoVid there were no flowers to be offered and then slowly one started to get some from the trees below. These were literally "fresh flowers" albeit not the most fragrant. 

Moving on, we chanced upon schools that displayed merry signs of having reopened with all protocols to protect in place; as in person education once again gets its due credit. Of course the students and teachers were not on campus but the security staff had started to trickle in. I have heard how resuming the daily morning routine has become a novelty for all associated with the education system. But it's good to know that children can start mingling again. 

A few kilometres and a couple of tens of minutes passed by when I saw the scene that I wish I could click on my phone. A father and a daughter on a motorcycle were driving, seemingly to the daughter's college (there was no uniform and she looked older than sixteen) and on the way, on the motorcycle, the daughter was studying! Imagine her dedication! The father, bearing this in mind was driving on the left side, slow and steady. This was totally adorable and reminded me of the days when I used to get late to get to college and Papa had to drive me to the station. As he ensured that I caught the train timely, he did not have the luxury of a slow drive but he always avoided the potholes. In fact that is where I learnt the skill of driving smoothly. The love of parents is not just unconditional and enduring but also uplifting and soothing. That is why Papa insisted that I wake him up before I leave and I know he will be awake tomorrow night till I reach home. Under his watch I know I am always loved, protected and guided.

It was at this point that I decided to start writing and took out my phone. But before I could start, another scene filled my heart with gratitude for my parents. A father was dropping his daughter to school (she was in a red and white uniform with braided hair and was about eight years old) and riding pillion she hugged him tight. Her head was resting on his back and her eyes were shut. This cute little angel was trying to catch some sleep enroute. Well someone thinks of optimising sleep like I do! This one was a sight worth a million rupees and I think will be etched in my memory for a long time. 

Talking about parents I am taken back many years. Mother was visiting me in London and we had gone shopping; an activity that tires the both of us but had to be undertaken that day. On the way home, in the tube, I sat next to Mummy with my head resting on her shoulders and her hand caressing my head. I thought this was absolutely normal for a mother and daughter till I saw the mother of a young about ten year old girl sitting in front of us, literally throw the jacket back to her daughter. The tired child had put the jacket on the mother's lap hoping for some affection but not only did she get the garment back but also a quip that the mother was not her coolie or her dumping ground. I still remember looking at Mummy and thanking my stars. Well it's not that we both don't have disagreements or even the occasional fight. But the selfless affection and care that I am blessed with makes me realise over and over again how I won the parent lottery. 

Happy thoughts probably comatosed me because soon after I wrote the above, I was asleep and woke up closer to the destination as we passed by the Gandharpale Buddhist caves. It amazes me how much of history is strewn across the length and breadth of Maharashtra! While the caves are beautiful even from a distance, I was pleasantly surprised from there on to see green fields playing with the mountains in the background. Further ahead the fields soon were making way for the rivers and streams that were gently flowing by. Even in the scorching forty degrees celcius the water was a thick carpet over the river bed. That is what makes road travel special, it makes one appreciate nature, history and culture at close quarters.

Gives you an idea of what the eyes were capturing

Before I started my return journey, back to Mumbai, I had decided to ensure that I would capture the visual of the bouncing river and the steady mountains. So as a call came in, I wore my handsfree and rolled down the window. The wind blowing was warm but in between the call I did not want to miss the opportunity to capturing the visuals I had encountered the day before. This was a difficult call and one that in normal times would have extracted every ounce of my patience. But nature's bounty had me distracted and so I appeared naturally patient on the call. I am glad for nature's sway, always, but today it was an absolute welcome interference. 

Every kilometer was a combination of the hills cradling the fields, the river and the countryside huts. Occassionally a white spire of the temple would pop out from behind a cluster of trees and that peek-a-boo made me smile. The Marathi billboards in Devnagari script were a welcome change from the Mumbai version of Hindi billboards in the modern Latin Alphabet. I was enjoying the ride when I noticed the large ball of an orange in the sky. The setting sun seemed soothing and divine. The phone went clicking again and as a result I got two shots that captures the very essence of the beauty that my eyes witnessed. 

This first shot was where the orange ball caught my attention


Can you feel the lullabuy being sung......

As nightfall landed I had no more sights to see or views to shoot, so I decided to complete some work. Nearing Mumbai, with work out of the way, I chose to complete this post hoping to be able to get it online at night. If not tonight the weekend it will have to be. Till the next post and the next time take care and stay safe.  

No comments: