Tuesday 5 July 2022

Bhakti and Sufism

The Benevolent One once told me that in Kalyuga the simplest path to reach the divine was via Bhakti. He never prescribed rituals but always spoke of how the Lord was partial to His devotees. One of the mediums that Bhakti followers use to express their endless love and devotion for the divine is music. And given how dear music is to me, Bhakti was easy for me to understand. Bhakti sangeet, infact, has been a part of my life from fairly early on. 

Meera bai wrote love and longing filled poems for her beloved Krishna which Marwari grandmothers sang to my generation in our childhood. It was our first introduction to music. The Vinaypatrika by Sant Tulsidas, similarly,  is a collection of poems set to specific ragas. Each and every poem either is a praise of Lord Ram, Devi Sita or a call to them to be the saviour or a tribute to their greatness.  Bhakt Surdas, Narsi Mehta, Ras Khan and multiple other poets have left a treasure trove of Bhakti sangeet that makes a connection with the Lord much simpler for those with a restless mind like mine. Music brings focus and the poetry reaches the soul or it could easily be vice-versa. Singing bhajans for the last two years has made this realisation even stronger. 

On a track parallel to Bhakti sangeet is Sufi music. While qawalis are the most recognised form of Sufi music, the genre has many forms such as the Turkish Ayin, African Gnawa and back home Ghazals and Kafi. While I am not well versed with the foreign sub types, qawali and ghazals have often been my music of choice. 

Bhajans, qawali and ghazals; all have a proximity to Hindustani classical that makes them personally more melodious. The common use of the Harmonium and the Tabla further increases their appeal, and while I have been able to learn numerous bhajans over the last two years, I am only starting with Sufi songs now. 

Amongst my favourite Bollywood Sufi compositions is Khwaja Mere Khwaja from Jodha Akbar. On a side note, that movie also has a beautiful bhajan Mann Mohana and Ashutosh Gowariker has to be credited with getting some of Rahman's best divine music out to the world. Back to Khwaja Mere Khwaja, the tabla in this qawali adds a dimension where the devotee ultimately wants to dance for the Lord. It's tone, it's notes, it's melody are all sublime. Once I start listening to it there is no stopping me. 

This evening as my play list was on a shuffle, Khwaja Mere Khwaja started. It brought an instantaneous smile on my face. Maybe for the first time today but I heard the lyrics carefully and they brought me home to the Benevolent One. While I know He is with me I miss seeing Him and being able to hear Him. As I was listening to the qawali, the lyrics that came were as if straight from my heart to His ears - 

"टली हर बला हमारी
छाया है खुमार तेरा
जितना भी रश्क करे बेशक
तो कम है, ऐ मेरे ख्वाजा
तेरे क़दमों को मेरे रहनुमा नहीं
छोड़ना गंवारा"

He has always protected me and I have always basked under His love, sometimes even gloating that I am His favourite of all three. At least I think so; and even if that were to be a figment of my imagination, leaving Him is not an option for me. He is my faith, He is my belief and He is the one who led me down this blessed life that I have. 

As I am listening to this song end for the umpteenth time, I have also been aided by Google in identifying an instrumental version that my voice will be comfortable with. So as I now attempt to sing and record this soulful divine calling I pray that the Benevolent continues to bless me and hear me . 

On that happy note wishing all of you a restful night and a happy morning. 





No comments: